The Solocarbon 3-in-1 is the only sauna heater on the market that can provide all three infrared wavelengths in one place.
The infrared spectrum consists of near (NIR), mid (MIR), and far (FIR) waves, each with distinct characteristics and frequency ranges. It’s impossible to deliver these three peak wavelengths at one time from a single source. That’s why Sunlighten developed a unique technology that combines three heating elements in one sauna heater.
Near infrared (NIR) is the shortest infrared wavelength and penetrates the skin’s surface more effectively than the other two. Scientific research shows that when delivered at the vital wavelength of 880nm without extreme heat or light, NIR promotes skin renewal, cell health, wound healing, and tissue growth.
NIR heaters consisting of high-wattage halogen bulbs at extremely high temperatures are not comfortable or beneficial. In order to make NIR heat safe for saunas, Sunlighten used NASA research to develop a patented LED array that provides NIR at a singular wavelength with minimal variability and virtually undetectable heat and light. LEDs are effective because they can trigger a natural photo-biochemical reaction (similar to how plants use chlorophyll to convert sunlight into plant tissue).
Mid infrared (MIR) is a longer wavelength that can penetrate deeper into the body’s soft tissue where inflammation occurs. MIR helps expand blood vessels and increases circulation, so more oxygen can reach injured areas of the body. This reduces pain and speeds the healing process.
The longest wavelength, far infrared (FIR), reaches deepest into the body, where toxins are stored. By raising your core body temperature, FIR stimulates the sweat glands, resulting in a deep, detoxifying sweat that leaves you feeling revitalized. Plus, since sweating increases heart rate, cardiac output, and metabolic rate, you’re also burning calories.
Sunlighten already achieved the most effective far infrared heater with their highly emissive Solocarbon heater coating . They’ve applied that same coating to their polyimide panel and discovered that application makes it 99% emissive! This is why Solocarbon panels are the only far infrared heaters clinically shown to raise core body temperature nearly 3° for the most detoxifying sweat, lower systolic and diastolic blood pressure and aid in weight loss.
Prepare For Your Visit
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Reservations are highly recommended due to limited availability.
- Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. If you arrive late, your session will end at the originally scheduled time so the clients following you are not penalized.
- Your time in the sauna room is 50 minutes. You will spend up to 30 minutes inside the Infrared Sauna. The remaining time is for you to undress before and freshen up/dress after your session.
- There are no showers in our sauna room. We provide wet towels so you can clean your body and remove toxins after the service.
- No electronic devices are recommended in the Sauna Room. Williamsburg Salt Spa is not responsible for any damaged items.
- Do not apply any products/treatment to your body on the day of your appointment.
- Remove all jewelry prior to your session.
- Do not touch any controls inside the sauna, including the volume button.
- Please limit your conversation to a whisper while in the sauna room, as other guests are receiving treatments nearby.
- Drink plenty of water before and after your session.
- Please discontinue the use of the Sunlighten sauna if you feel light-headed, dizzy or heat exhausted.
- The walls of the sauna become very hot during the session. Please don not lean against the walls without the backrest.
Pregnant women are not permitted in the sauna.
Children under the age of 18 are not permitted in the sauna. The core body temperature of children rises much faster than adults. This occurs due to a higher metabolic rate per body mass, limited circulatory adaptation to increased cardiac demands and the inability to regulate body temperature by sweating.
Individuals who have a Pacemaker or Defibrillator are not permitted in the sauna. The magnets used to assemble our units can interrupt the pacing and inhibit the output of pacemakers. Please discuss with your doctor the possible risks this may cause.
The Elderly, without permission from their physician, are not permitted in the sauna. The ability to maintain core body temperature decreases with age. This is primarily due to circulatory conditions and decreased sweat gland function. The body must be able to activate its natural cooling processes in order to maintain core body temperature.
Please read the full list of contraindications below.
The information, advice and services made available at Williamsburg Salt Spa and WilliamsburgSaltSpa.com web site are not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Services at Williamsburg Salt Spa and information on its web site are provided for informational purposes only and are not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use this information for diagnosing or treating a medical or health condition. You should consult a physician in all matters relating to your health, and particularly in respect to any symptoms that may require diagnosis or medical attention. Any action on your part in response to the information provided at Williamsburg Salt Spa and on its web site is at the reader’s discretion. Williamsburg Salt Spa, LLC makes no representations or warranties with respect to any information offered through its office or provided on its website WilliamsburgSaltSpa.com regarding any treatment or action. Williamsburg Salt Spa is not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of its facilities or its web site and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it.
Sauna sessions not allowed if you have any of the following conditions:
- If you have a disease, be certain to consult with a primary-care physician concerning it.
- If you are using any prescription drugs, check with your physician or pharmacist for any possible change in the drug’s effect due to any interaction with infrared energy.
- If you are under the influence of alcohol. Contrary to popular belief, it is not advisable to attempt to “Sweat Out” a hangover. Alcohol intoxication decreases a person’s judgment; therefore they may not realize it when the body has a negative reaction to high heat. Alcohol also increases the heart rate, which may be further increased by heat stress.
- If you are an individual that has insensitivity to heat.
- If you are an individual that has a fever
- If you have cardiovascular conditions. Individuals with cardiovascular conditions or problems (hypertension / hypo tension), congestive heart failure, impaired coronary circulation or those who are taking medications, which might affect blood pressure, should exercise extreme caution when exposed to prolonged heat. Heat stress increases cardiac output, blood flow, in an effort to transfer internal body heat to the outside environment via the skin (perspiration) and respiratory system. This takes place primarily due to major changes in the heart rate, which has the potential to increase by thirty (30) beats per minute for each degree increase in core body temperature.
- It is considered inadvisable, by some authorities, to raise the core temperature in someone with adrenal suppression and systemic lupus erythematosus or multiple sclerosis.
- If you have a recent (acute) joint injury, it should not be heated for the first 48 hours after the injury or until the hot and swollen symptoms subside. If you have a joint or joints that are chronically hot and swollen, these joints may respond poorly to vigorous heating of any kind. Vigorous heating is strictly contra-indicated in cases of enclosed infections be they dental, in joints or in any other tissues.
- If you are pregnant or suspect you may be, discontinue your sauna use. Finnish women use their saunas, which don’t throw heat as deeply into the body, for only 6~12 minutes and reportedly leave at that time, due to perceived discomfort. Their usage at this low level of intensity is not linked to birth defects. Infrared Thermal System usage may be 2~3 times more intense, and comparatively shorter 2~6 minute sessions hardly seem worth any minimal risk they may present.
- If you are an individual with a chronic conditions/diseases associated with a reduced ability to sweat or perspire. Parkinson’s, Multiple Sclerosis, Central Nervous System Tumors and Diabetes with Neuropathy are some conditions that are associated with impaired sweating.
- Metal pins, rods, artificial joints or any other surgical implants generally reflect infrared rays and thus are not heated by this system, nevertheless you should consult your surgeon prior to using Infrared Thermal System. Certainly, the usage of Infrared Thermal System must be discontinued if you experience pain near any such implants. Silicone does absorb infrared energy. Implanted silicone or silicone prostheses for nose or ear replacement may be warmed by the infrared rays. Since silicone melts at over 200°C (392°F), it should not be adversely affected by the usage of Infrared Thermal System. It is still advised that you check with your surgeon and possibly a representative from the product manufacture to be certain.
- Heating of the low back area of women during the menstrual period may temporarily increase their menstrual flow. Once a woman is aware that this may occur, she can choose to allow herself to possible experience this short-term effect without worry or to simply avoid Infrared Thermal System usage at that time of her cycle.
- Hemophiliacs and anyone predisposed to hemorrhage should avoid Infrared Thermal System usage or any type of heating that would induce vasodilatation, which can increase the tendency to bleed.
- Obviously, should any condition worsen with use of an Infrared treatment, the use of the system should be discontinued.
- People do not experience pain using Infrared Thermal Systems unless such is contraindicated. If you do, the use of radiant heat is clearly inappropriate for you at that time.
- DO NOT attempt to self-treat any disease with this Infrared Thermal System without direct supervision of a physician.
Infrared Sauna sessions are effective in promoting health in many cases, such as:
Detox from a Sunlighten™ sauna is 7 to 10 times greater than a conventional sauna. In a conventional sauna the average person sweats out 3% toxins and 97% water. In a Sunlighten sauna, the average person sweats out 20% toxins and 80% water!
Sweating is good for you. It is the body’s safe and natural way to heal and stay healthy. Sunlighten far infrared sauna detoxification happens by heating the body directly, causing a rise in core temperature. This results in a deep, detoxifying sweat at the cellular level, where toxins reside.
Studies show that high levels of stress have great impact on the brain. From memory problems to anxiety to learning difficulties, the effects of stress on the mind are immense. Neuroscientists have shown that chronic stress can even cause differences in grey and white matter in the brain, as well as the size and connectivity of the amygdala. High levels of stress can even impact the amount of neurons found in the brain.
Relax and reduce mental stress with Sunlighten™. Their infrared therapy soothes your mind by enveloping your body in relaxing warmth. Their saunas are designed for maximum comfort, allowing you to not only loosen your body, but loosen your mind. Practicing mindful meditation while in a sauna therapy session can also help with mental stress reduction. Alone time is maximized with a sauna therapy session, giving you an opportunity to reflect and move on from the stress of the day.
Relieve back, neck, and arthritis pain with infrared sauna heat therapy. Researchers studying HRP (Heat Responsive Pain) have observed remarkable therapeutic benefits by using continuous low-level heat therapy for treating lower back and upper body pain, all conditions that fall under the HRP classification.
Infrared saunas have been used for effective pain management therapy for many different ailments. Here are just some of the conditions in which infrared sauna therapy has been successfully used for pain relief.
Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
Those who suffer from PAD can experience severe leg pain caused by reduced blood flow and oxygen to the lower legs, which can get worse with walking. But Japanese researchers found that infrared sauna sessions of just 15 minutes a day significantly lowered pain, and patients were able to walk twice as far without pain.
Rheumatoid Arthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis
Those who suffer from autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis often struggle with pain management that comes with hefty side effects. But with sauna therapy, pain relief can be found without negative outcomes. A study has shown that while in the sauna, all patients with these conditions felt significantly better, and at the end of the study, those with rheumatoid arthritis showed improvements in pain and fatigue while not in the sauna.
Fibromyalgia causes pain throughout the entire body, with particular areas of sensitivity. Studies have shown that not only does infrared sauna use help with natural pain relief during treatment, but even months after ending sauna treatment the pain was still significantly lower.
Physical pain is often given much more credit in our society than pain caused by emotion. But medical doctors have begun to understand the real physiological impact of psychological issues. Infrared sauna therapy works for the pain that can’t be seen, too. In the same study of chronic pain patients, researchers also found that patients had a statistically lower anger level compared to those not in the sauna group.
A 30 minute infrared sauna session can burn up to 200-600 calories! As the body works to cool itself while using an infrared sauna, there is a substantial increase in heart rate, cardiac output and metabolic rate. Sunlighten’s infrared heat therapy raises core body temperature causing passive cardiovascular conditioning. Your body’s natural response to infrared heat therapy is to increase circulation and sweat.
LOWERS BLOOD PRESSURE
Solocarbon® heaters were used in a clinical study with the University of Missouri Kansas City in 2005 and were shown to lower blood pressure from a 30 minute sauna session three times a week. Repeated infrared treatment improves impaired blood vessel functions in patients with high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol. This suggests a preventative role for sauna use for arteriosclerosis.
Heating of muscles with infrared produces an increased blood flow level similar to that seen during exercise. Body temperature elevation also produces an increase in blood flow. Infrared heat assists in resolution of inflammatory infiltrates, edema and exudates. The increased peripheral circulation provides the transport needed to help evacuate the edema which can help end inflammation, decrease pain and help speed healing.
As a health sauna, Sunlighten heats your muscles with infrared rays and produces an increase in blood flow similar to regular exercise. In fact, blood flow during infrared sauna use has been reported to rise from a normal rate of 5-7 quarts per minute to as much as 13 quarts per minute.¹
The elevation in body temperature from a Sunlighten sauna session also produces an increase in blood flow that mirrors the benefits of a passive cardiovascular workout. Regular infrared sauna use – especially in the mid-infrared range – has been shown to significantly stimulate blood flow, even after your health sauna session is completed. A cardio workout has never been so relaxing! Another benefit of improved circulation from Sunlighten sauna use is quick muscle recovery – after your regular workouts. The increased peripheral circulation from our infrared heat reduces inflammation, decreases pain and speeds healing, all important steps in helping the body recover from strenuous activity.
Improve your skin’s appearance with regular use of a Sunlighten sauna. Open wounds heal quicker with reduced scarring. Infrared heat therapy helps acne, eczema, psoriasis, burns and any skin lesions or cuts. It also reduces wrinkles, makes skin look radiant, firms and improves skin tone and elasticity. Regular use may also help reduce cellulite trapped beneath the skin, lessen the appearance of scars, and help burns heal significantly
Forego expensive cosmetic treatments that may have limited effects or questionable long-term safety. Instead, rejuvenate your skin while also receiving all of the other health benefits associated with Sunlighten’s leading infrared sauna therapy.
A study published in The Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy showed significant improvements in skin appearance after just 12 weeks of sauna skin therapy using near-infrared technology. Participants experienced a reduction in wrinkles and crow’s feet, as well as improved overall skin tone, including softness, smoothness, elasticity, clarity and firmness.1 Sunlighten’s Solocarbon 3-in-1® is the only infrared sauna heater on the market with LED near-infrared light therapy!
Sunlighten’s Solocarbon 3-in-1 Infrared Spectrum is the only heater on the market capable of producing near infrared (NIR) light using LED technology. This is the same technology used in scientific research that concluded NIR therapy greatly enhances the wound healing process.
Studies conducted by NASA concluded that NIR LED light significantly promotes faster cell regeneration, wound healing and human tissue growth. Human cell growth increased by 155%-171% in some cases and wound size decreased by 36%.4
Sunlighten infrared therapy stimulates the circulatory system, causing the heart to beat more vigorously and blood vessels to dilate, which help cleanse the circulatory system and more fully oxygenate the body’s cells. Better blood circulation means more toxins flow from the cellular level to the skin’s surface to improve cell health, aid in muscle recovery and strengthen the immune system.
To begin with, infrared heat is the invisible part of the sun’s spectrum, which has the ability to gently and comfortably penetrate human tissue to produce a host of health benefits like boosting your immune system. Naturally occurring from the sun, it is the basis for all Sunlighten™ saunas. Infrared light also comes in several forms. Each form offers unique wellness perks that together provide a holistic approach to better mind and body. Learn about how near infrared differs from far infrared, and how each benefit you.
Near infrared technology used in Sunlighten Infrared Saunas is similar to the infrared used in cosmetic and healing devices. The LED technology used allows the heaters to produce consistent near infrared without extreme heat or light, making it a safe option for near infrared use. Near infrared waves have a shorter frequency range and penetrate the epidermis layer of the skin. This is how near-infrared is able to impact your body at the cellular level, encouraging tissue growth, speeding up muscle recovery and strengthening your immune system.
Because far infrared sauna therapy heats the body directly rather than simply warming the air, it raises the core body temperature and produces a deep, detoxifying sweat at the cellular level, where most toxins reside. Your sweat then pushes out the toxins, cleansing your body and rejuvenating your skin. Far infrared also aids in blood pressure reduction and weight loss, along with a wide range of other health benefits
Packages of 5 sessions are for the recipient only and cannot be shared.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s The Difference Between Infrared Saunas And Traditional Saunas?
Infrared heat is very gentle. The experience is similar to lying in the sun on a warm day and feeling the heat radiate to the core of your body. Unlike traditional (hot rock or steam) saunas–which operate in excess of 200°F–infrared heat has the benefit of being effective at a more comfortable operating temperature of 100°-150°F.
Traditional saunas heat the air vs. the body directly. Rather than inducing detoxification and relaxation, this can make the experience unbearably hot and difficult to breathe. Because infrared heat penetrates human tissue vs. simply heating the surface of the skin, infrared saunas are seven times more effective than traditional saunas at detoxifying the body. By raising the body’s core temperature, infrared saunas can produce a sweat composed of 20% toxins vs. only 3% toxins with a traditional sauna.
What Should I Do To Prepare For A Good Infrared Sauna Session?
Drinking an electrolyte replacement water or sports drink is strongly recommended before and after sauna use.
I’m Taking Prescription Medications, Can I Use An Infrared Sauna?
Individuals who are using prescription drugs should seek the advice of their personal physician or a pharmacist for possible changes in the drugs effect when the body is exposed to infrared waves or elevated body temperature. Diuretics, barbiturates and beta-blockers may impair the body’s natural heat loss mechanisms. Anticholinergics such as amitryptaline may inhibit sweating and can predispose individuals to heat rash or to a lesser extent, heat stroke. Some over-the-counter drugs, such as antihistamines, may also cause the body to be more prone to heat stroke.
Can Kids Use Infrared Saunas?
The core body temperature of children rises much faster than adults. This occurs due to a higher metabolic rate per body mass, limited circulatory adaptation to increased cardiac demands and the inability to regulate body temperature by sweating under 18.
Can The Elderly Use Infrared Saunas?
The ability to maintain core body temperature decreases with age. This is primarily due to circulatory conditions and decreased sweat gland function. The body must be able to activate its natural cooling processes in order to maintain core body temperature. Since it is recommended to spend no more than 15 minutes at a time at much lower temperature we do NOT offer this service to elderly guest without written permission from their physician.
I’m Pregnant. Any Problems If I Use An Infrared Sauna?
While infrared saunas are great for health and well-being, it is recommended that pregnant women avoid sauna use for the duration of their pregnancy. The main reason saunas should be avoided is because high temperatures can increase the risk of complications or birth defects.
Are Infrared Saunas Safe To Use?
Infrared saunas use safe and effective radiant heat just like the sun’s soothing warmth. Radiant heat is more efficient because it warms you, not the air around you. Far infrared radiation (FIR) is considered harmless for human. Infrared heaters are even used to heat premature babies in hospitals incubators. But some people with certain illnesses and conditions should not use an infrared sauna or should use it with great caution. Please check our disclaimer.
At What Temperature Setting Should I Have The Infrared Sauna
The recommended temperature is between 120° and 140° F.
How Long Should I Sit In An Infrared Sauna?
Never exceed 40 minutes at a time. For the safety of our guests, we will not offer sessions longer than 30 min.